Thursday, April 12, 2012

Heading Home to Move Home

I'm on Amtrak's Train 148 heading north to Stamford after a day-and-a-half in Alexandria. I met with new colleagues, saw the new apartment, had dinner with a friend, and had the unexpected pleasure of lunch today with a friend and former colleague. I have a much clearer idea of what I'm facing in the new job, and I'm favorably impressed by the folks I'll be working with. I also know that my friends in the MD/DC/VA area won't let me become a hermit when I'm not working. I already have three invitations to local churches, a list historic sites to visit with a Civil War buff, a couple of dinner invitations, and a place to go for Thanksgiving. And I'll have an apartment big enough to invite friends to dinner at my place!

In 17 days I head back south. (That's 18 days until the new job starts, Scott!) Last night after dinner at a local pub, Kellee drove me back to the seminary, where I was spending the night in the temporary guest house. "Should I take you home, or do you want to see a little more of Alexandria?" she asked. "It really is home, isn't it," I said before answering the question.

There's no place like home.

Home for the holidays.

Home is where the heart is.

You can't go home again.

A man's home is his castle.

All of these sayings take on new shades of meaning as I contemplate the reality of leaving the only area I've ever lived in.

I'm heading home, but only for a little while longer. I'd like to think that Connecticut will always be my home, just as Darien will always be my hometown. But I wonder how long it will be before I start saying "I'm going to Mom's" like my brother does whenever he and his family head up to Connecticut?.

So tomorrow I begin finalizing the details of the move and update the final To Do list. Seeing the new apartment in person is much different than looking at a floor plan. On the one hand, I will take even less stuff to Virginia with me. On the other hand, I have a longer list of things I'll need to get once I'm moved. Do you know how long it's been since I've actually had a sofa, let alone a separate living room?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jeff, this is so exciting. And mindboggling. And exciting. I'm so pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Very exciting. Don't forget to take a few winter things. It at this time of year it is hard to remember how ugly the mid-Atlantic area can get in January.

    Happy packing. I can feel your smiles from here.

    ReplyDelete