Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Practicing

I've worked myself up to 30 minutes each time I practice my flute. That's a good length of time for daily practice. I'm not yet practicing every day, but I am practicing regularly. I like to spend about half my time practicing what is called traditional music--Irish, English, Scots, French Canadian, and New England tunes played for Contra Dances and English Country Dancing. Playing traditional music has a very different feel to it than playing classical music. For example, if you play violin, you play fiddle for dances. Same instrument, different approach. I've found that playing traditional music has improved my skills for playing classical music.

Today I spent half my practice time working on one four-line exercise from Das Floetenbuch Friedrichs des Grossen (The Flute Book of Frederick the Great). The book consists of 100 exercises composed by Frederich the Great and Johann Joachim Quantz. The are designed to improve tone and articulation. In other words, lots of sixteenth notes and interesting intervals between notes. These, however, unlike some "daily exercises," have a musical quality to them, so they're rather fun to play.

I also spent a little time on the second movement of the Bach Partita. I may not be ready to audition for the YouTube Orchestra, but one day in the not too distant future I should be able to play the Partita in public.

Peace,
Jeff
(10)

No comments:

Post a Comment