Friday, January 2, 2009

In The Mail

Today I found two envelopes and a magazine in my mailbox. I haven't received that much mail in more than a week, not since the Christmas Card deluge ended. That began after less than a month's respite from the seemingly endless campaign mailings that stuffed our mailboxes from the middle of September until Election Day. Now that so many people use email and social networking such as Facebook, I just don't receive that much non junk mail. And even the junk mail has tapered off, although spam continues to increase exponentially. I had a total of 121 emails today, 190 of which wither in the spam folders or should have been.

The first envelope I shredded--yet another credit card offer. Now that I've paid off my credit card debt and closed the accounts associated with it, I have one credit card and a debit card that can serve as a credit card when needed. The credit card is an American Express Card, which must be paid in full every month. I use it primarily for business travel, but I will use it for other purchases now and then to keep it active and accumulate points. Eventually, I can use the points to purchase an airline ticket for a vacation! The debit card, even when used as a credit card, pulls the funds directly from my checking account. Friends with more financial savvy than I have tell me that eventually I will need to get a regular credit card to improve my credit rating. Given the economy and the trouble banks have gotten themselves into with extending credit accounts, I'm not so sure that's going to count for much in the coming years. And I have time. I probably won't be in a position to purchase a home of my own for at least the next few years.

The second envelope came from the U.S. Census Bureau and contained The American Community Survey. Oh joy. This from the brochure that came with the survey:

How do I benefit by answering the American Community
Survey?

The American Community Survey provides up-to-date information for the nation, states, cities, counties, metropolitan areas, and communities. By responding to the American Community Survey questionnaire, you are helping your community to establish goals, identify problems and solutions, and measure the performance of programs.

Communities need data about the well-being of children, families, and the elderly to provide services to them. The data are also used to decide where to locate new highways, schools, hospitals, and community centers; to show a large corporation that a town has the workforce he company needs; and in many other ways.

I'm not sure how they selected who would receive the survey, since mine was addressed "To The Resident Of". And having worked in a field that depended on Census data and the interim updates, I understand the importance of the survey. Unfortunately, it won't help us dismantle No Child Left Behind or further the fight for marriage rights by lbgt folks.

The magazine was The Flutist Quarterly, a publication of the National Flute Association. I have been a member for over 20 years, and the Quarterly has been the primary means of communicating with the membership. A couple of years ago they upgraded the website, which they are in the process of making the primary communications tool. It takes time. It keeps me in touch with what's going on in the flute world, including new music and recordings. The primary piece of news for me in this issue is the date and location of the annual convention, which I've never attended. This year, however, it is in New York City, so I'm planning on attending because I won't have to worry about transportation or lodging costs. One ad for Chop Saver lip balm also caught my attention because of the rather large picture of James Galway. His hair is grayer than what hair I have left. You can see the picture on the first page of their web site, it's one of several in a slide show that plays there. I know we're all getting older, but it was still a surprise.

Peace,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment