Monday, January 19, 2009

Catechism

cat*e*chism (kat' ǐ-kǐz' əm) n. 1. A book giving a brief summary of the basic principles of Christianity in question-and-answer form. 2. A manual giving basic instruction in a subject. 3. A body of fundamental principles or beliefs, esp. when accepted uncritically. 4. A close questioning or examination, as of a political figure.
--The American Heritage College Dictionary, 4th ed., 2002.

Who knew?

We do have one in the Episcopal Church. Honestly. It's on page 843 of our Book of Common Prayer. Although it's titled "An Outline of the Faith, commonly called the Catechism." Most of the church doesn't seem to pay much attention to it except in relation to Confirmation. Occasionally it will get pulled out when teaching new folks about our church. We used it in my confirmation class as a beginning place for discussion. I was 29 at the time, and if I found it boring, I can only imagine what teenagers think of it.

From time to time I refer to it in the course of my work as the Children's Formation Officer for the Episcopal Church. And sometimes I bring it up in conversations, especially when I get on my "the Episcopal Church doesn't believe its own Prayer Book" soap box.

If we're going to teach about Christianity and the Episcopal Church, then we need to think outside the book. The book is a great starting place, but let's face it, not everyone learns by reading, and even those of us that do are not held by the rote repetition of the Catechism. So what do I mean by outside the book? If you're not already familiar with Father Matthew Presents, I suggest you go to YouTube and check him out. We ought to be including his videos in Confirmation classes, newcomer classes, and quite frankly, many of our Christian Education/Formation programs.

Here is just one example of his work, and while it's not typical of it, it is a powerful piece.



Peace,
Jeff
(278)

1 comment: