Saturday, January 17, 2009

Of Cafes and Sermon Writing

About 5:30 this evening I gave up trying to write my sermon here at home. Too many distractions with which to procrastinate. I changed clothes, packed up my Harper Collins Study Bible, folder of sermon notes, and a few other odds and ends, and headed out for something to eat. After a heavier supper than I should have eaten, I drove to the local Barnes & Noble and settled myself at a table in the cafe. I spent the next 3 1/2 hours writing my sermon from scratch (and by hand, I don't yet own a laptop), because as usual, I had a completely different approach come to mind during supper.

The cafes in the large bookstore chains have become community gathering places. Students work with tutors or gather to study together. Blind dates have their first meeting. Knitting groups knit and gossip over coffee. Chess players meet once a week to face off against each other. Sometimes there will be an author's reading or a music performance. Friends come just to hang out for a while. I've seen couples meet with their wedding planners, consultants meet with prospective clients, and committees plan events.

After I finished my draft, I got an ice tea and settled in for about an hour's recreational reading. It's always good to take a break before editing. Now that I'm home, I'll type up my draft and make some minor edits. Then it's off to bed. Hopefully, I won't have any 3 a.m. inspirations from the Holy Spirit.

Peace,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment