Thursday, May 29, 2008

Reading And Writing

blog readability test

Lisa Fox, one of my favorite bloggers (I like the way she looks at things), wrote about a conservative blogger who used an online tool to test the readability of selected conservative and liberal blogs. Take a look at Perpetua of Carthage's "Rating the Anglican Blogs for Readability". Here is her conclusion:
I was pretty much random sampling among the blogs I knew. I am not claiming this pattern of results would still occur in a larger sample. But in this sample, it appears that the conservative Anglican blogs (and some of these are very popular blogs) require a greater intellectual engagement than the progressive Episcopal blogs.
She says she didn't do a broad or scientific sampling, but her conclusion smacks of elitism, which I see as one of the great problems of the Episcopal Church. Not only are we seen as a denomination of the wealthy and privileged, we often perpetuate that image--and worse--by our elevation of scholastic achievement and attainment. Recently, our office received a voice mail request from a priest who was looking for materials to prepare adults for baptism and confirmation. I pulled together a list of our usual resources and gave her a call. She was familiar with all the resources I had, but they did not fit her needs. The people she was working with were all "blue collar" (her words) folks, many of whom had not completed high school and a couple who had not even completed middle school.

Where were resources that meet the needs of these folks? Why does our church assume that everyone who walks through the door has, or will soon have, a college education? What kind of message does that send to the world?

I admit that education has always been my biggest prejudice. I am constantly reminded in my everyday encounters with people that just because someone doesn't have a college education does not mean they aren't intelligent or wise. Three of my grandparents never went to college, and my paternal grandfather had only an eighth grade education. So how did I acquire this prejudice?

I don't know, and I struggle with it. As a person with a college degree and a lot of postgraduate work, it means a lot to me that this blog has a high school readability level. Just as it meant a lot to me when a former rector of our parish told me that he was impressed that I didn't use a lot of "fifty-cent words" when I preached. It means that my writing and speaking are accessible to a broad range of people. And isn't that the sign of an effective communicator?

Peace,
Jeffri

5 comments:

  1. My blog is high school level - hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog is junior high level. Must be because my thoughts are simple and I tend to use simple language to convey them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not simple thoughts, just simple language to convey thoughts. There is something to be said for the ability to communicate complex ideas using simple language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeffri,

    Actually, I agree with you. The greatest are the ones who can communicate important ideas using simple language.

    Hmmm, that reminds me of our Lord Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Perpetua,

    Thanks for chiming in. It's a little hard to tell from your post--I went and re-read it.

    Definitely soulds like our Lord. Like any good teacher, he taught in a variety of modalities and at a variety of levels. (Although, I'm not sure John figured that out when writing his Gospel...)

    Peace,
    Jeffri

    ReplyDelete