Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Bible Study With The Bishops: Triplets Anyone?

Reading Plan Text for May 21: John 14:8-14

Now it's Philip's turn to play the dense disciple: "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." (14:8)

At this point, I can picture Jesus' exasperation. After all, Philip was one of the first believers to bring someone else into the fold (remember Nathanael back in Chapter 1?). "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me?" (14:9)

And then Jesus plunges, yet again, into "I am in the Father, and the Father is in me," followed not to far by my brain going off with Elizabeth again into "I am the walrus..."

Right now I just don't have the patience to deal with John's mysticism and repeated twistings about who Jesus is. At least this time, we hear something new:
Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that i do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it. (14:12-14)
Well, mostly new anyway.

I leave you with the quote from St. Theresa that Burridge puts at the end of his commentary for today:
Christ has no hands but our hands to do his work today. He has no feet but our feet to lead men in his way.
Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment