Monday, May 14, 2012

The Yankee Displaced

The Guest Houses have been the priority since I arrived two weeks ago. And no one really knew quite how long it would take to get the apartment ready. That's why I went with the pod for moving my stuff down here. It gave us the most flexibility in terms of being out of the apartment in Norwalk and being able to move into the apartment here. The new apartment is actually quite close to being done, but it will be a few days more before I can move in. In the meantime I have a bed to sleep in, a couch to sit on, and a place to plug in my computer.

Living out of a suitcase gets really old really fast. Until I can put my stuff in my place, I'm unsettled; displaced. It will be a while before it starts to feel like home around here, but being essentially homeless delays the start of the process. Not having a church home adds to the sense of dislocation, but finding one is part of the whole settling in process.

Then there are the subtle differences that remind me that in many ways I'm a stranger in a strange land. The architecture is just enough different, as are some of the food options in the grocery stores and local restaurants. And let's not forget the whole historical frame of reference! Jamestown instead of Plymouth. George Washington lived here instead of George Washington slept here. Thomas Jefferson instead of John Adams. And of course, Robert E. Lee instead of Ulysses S. Grant. I grew up surrounded by one context and reading about the other. Now I'm living in the other.

On the other hand, if there's one thing I know, it's how to live amongst the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment