Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Great Furniture Shift

As if I hadn't already moved enough furniture last month, yesterday found me supervising the removal of furniture from three buildings and delivering it to three. We had to do both for one of the buildings. We even found some of the missing Guest House furniture. And like any job of this kind, it took longer than we initially planned. However, because the movers asked the right questions, we will only have to move one bed within the Guest House. Once it's repaired that is.

My furniture is still in the pod in Chantilly waiting for my call. There's just too much stuff going on in the Guest House for me to move anything in. Not to mention the number of trucks and vans that cluster along the side of the road outside the buildings. There's no place to put the pod, even if I wanted to start moving in. The holdup? Primarily the kitchen. But there's enough other work going on that trying to get my stuff in would just make things difficult for everyone. So I continue to stay in a room in the temporary Guest House across campus and live out of suitcases and boxes.

At least I don't have to worry about my meals at the moment. I'm able to eat my meals in the refectory. That has provided me with lots of opportunities to meet people, especially the students. Of course, many of them are graduating next week, but many will return when school starts up again in August. I'm already becoming part of the campus community, but I'm still feeling very transient. I'm still living in that both and time. It's hard to start to get to know a neighborhood when you're living in a guest room.

But learning it I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment