Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Coke for Breakfast

This morning I woke up to rain, and I woke well before the alarm went off. So began the first morning of the first day in my new home preparing for the first day at my new job. Although I'm not in my apartment yet, the campus of Virginia Theological Seminary is my home now. I constantly catch myself looking around and asking, "I wonder how long it will take before this becomes familiar?"

I walked across campus to the refectory for breakfast and was reminded of the walk across the Rockford College campus to Burpee Center where the cafeteria was located. Even though Rockford was a very small college, VTS is even smaller. I walked into the food service area and noted the young woman in front of me getting a glass of Coke. It reminded me that I drank Coke for breakfast through most of my college years, and it took many years after that for me to learn to drink coffee. So I had Coke for breakfast this morning. Well, Diet Coke.

Just like it took years for me to learn to drink coffee, it took me years to wean myself from an academic calendar. Now I'm living in the midst of one again. I've entered it backwards, so to speak. I've arrived at the end of the Spring semester with Commencement around the corner. Which means I've plunged headlong into my role as the new Guest House Manager. How am I doing? I'm making lots of lists, which keeps it from being overwhelming. I think I'll feel much better once the guest house has actually reopened, AND I've moved into my new apartment. That shouldn't be too much longer. The cabinets arrived today as scheduled, and installation has begun.

My office is almost complete. At least I have a phone, a computer, and a desk to put them on. I'm still waiting for a chair!

1 comment: