Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Living Out of A Suitcase

Today marks my 22nd day in Alexandria. There is a slight possibility that I could be in my apartment this week. See me not turning blue.

I knew coming down here that the apartment wouldn't be ready when I arrived. I figured that I'd have plenty to do getting the Guest Houses ready, so as long as I had a place to sleep, a light, and a place to plug in my computer I could cope for a while. But now that I've had one real weekend and a couple of 8 or 9 hour days, I'd like to be in my own place. Living out of a suitcase gets really old really fast.

Three weeks is about my limit, even if I'm busy. It's one of the reasons I'm more than happy not to attend General Convention this year. And even though where I'm staying is more Bed and Breakfast than hotel, it's still not my place. It's one of the reasons I spend more time than I might otherwise at Cafe 1823. It's not my room, and it does have the added advantage of getting to meet people and socialize.

Another way I spend time, even though it's in my room, is looking at furniture options. Craigslist is one place I browse, though I haven't yet found anything I'm just can't live without. And I have a list of pieces to check out at Ikea. There's one chair I've wanted for years but haven't had room for. It will probably be one of my first purchases. Of course, it really only makes me more anxious to be in my apartment!

There are some minor things that need to be taken care of. Some small holes in the wall from the cabinet installation; a closet door that opens only with a key; a missing latch on the medicine cabinet; and walking through this morning I realized for the first time that there's no ceiling light fixture in the cooking part of the kitchen. But those won't hold up actually moving in. I'm just waiting to hear from one of our maintenance guys about scheduling the day.

So close!

1 comment:

  1. Optimistically, a suitcase is far better than a shopping cart.

    ReplyDelete