Wednesday, July 22, 2009

If It's Wednesday, I've Adjusted To Eastern Time

After three days of taking it easy and doing next to nothing, I think my body is back on Eastern Daylight time. I must also be recovering from 15 days of go-go-go because I'm beginning to think about things I have to do over the next couple of days. Yes, the To Do List is rearing its ugly head:
  • Laundry
  • Grocery Shopping
  • Birthday Present Shopping
  • Make Phone Calls
  • Finish Unpacking
  • Copy the new apartment keys so people have spares
  • Balance the Checkbook
  • Update the parish web site
Well, I did go for a walk today.

Toward the end of General Convention I realized that it is a lot like Dance Camp only less often, a lot longer, and not as renewing. It is a community that comes together periodically and creates its own time bubble. It is a place where I see people I haven't seen in a while and pick up pretty much where we left off the last time.

It's also a lot different. We Episcopalians have not learned to live together with our differences. We don't do a good job of supporting and nurturing those with whom we disagree or have little in common with other than the fact that we call ourselves Episcopalian. And decisions at General Convention impact peoples' jobs and vocations.

After seven years of involvement in the institutional church at a "higher level," I once again find myself asking, "Why is it that I want/need/could possibly tolerate that white plastic band around my neck?"

Peace,
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. because God says so, my dear, is there any better reason?

    ReplyDelete