Friday, July 17, 2009

General Convention - Day 11 Finally Over?

Today was the final day of legislation and the closing Eucharist, which was celebrated in three languages--French, Spanish, and English. Katharine moved fluidly between all three. I nodded off during her sermon, which was both a reflection of her sermon as well as how tired I was.

The major legislative news was the passage of C056 by the House of Deputies today. Deputies speaking against it on the floor were pretty much the same as those who spoke against D025. And we heard many of the same tired arguments. However, the whole tone of the debate was much more civil than at previous conventions. That is primarily because so many of the most raucous conservatives have departed the church.

The Discovery Center and the Children's Program are packed up. I am about half packed. I packed my box of stuff to be shipped first thing this morning so that it could go on the Discovery Center pallet going back to New York. Most of my clothes are packed, so tomorrow I only have a few things to pack. I didn't want to wait, since we will be spending the day at Disneyland, and I will probably be tired when we return.

We continue to hear things that let us know that we have not seen the last of the damage Suzanne Watson did to the ministry of the Evangelism & Congregational Life Center during her 13 month tenure as Center Director. In fact, we are learning that many of the Center's budget issues are a direct result of her inability to think strategically for the whole Center. Many of us in the Center are extremely grateful for the presence of Bob Honeychurch, who has been acting Center Director since may. His gentle presence has been healing as we have learned what it is to work in healthy (as healthy as working for the Church can be) environment.

As of Wednesday, I have worked at the Church Center for seven years. Even though my job is secure for now, I don't know if I'll be around to see eight.

As Scarlett O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day."

Peace,
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all of this, Jeff. I hope you enjoy Disneyland and can laugh it up and relax.

    ReplyDelete