Friday, July 3, 2009

One Day And Counting

I've dusted everything in sight. I've vacuumed the rugs and washed the kitchen and bathroom floors. The bathroom and kitchen have been thoroughly scrubbed. Before I leave in the morning, I'll put fresh sheets on my bed and fresh towels in the bathroom.

I returned my library books. I picked up the last few odds and ends for the trip. I put oil in the car. I even bought one thing not on my list. Wal-Mart had oscillating fans on sale, so I picked one up. I threw out ancient hassock fan last Fall. It had been my grandparents', and it served me well for many years, but it was on its last legs. I haven't needed a fan yet, but it will be full summer when I get back from Anaheim. I also made sure to pick up some healthy snacks to put in my carry on in case we get delayed.

I even managed to get my bags packed before my usual midnight timing.

So far, so good.

Then I cut my hair. I've been doing it myself for a few months, and this evening I made my first major mistake. When you keep your hair fairly short, the only correction for a mistake is to shave it down. Basically, I have stubble. On the positive side, it will be very easy to take care of while I'm at General Convention.

I checked in and printed out my boarding passes. I'll need to check my large suitcase when I get to the airport.

I'm all set to join 8,000 Episcopalians and others in Anaheim.

A lot has happened since we gathered in Columbus three years ago. "Emergent Church" has become a part of our vocabulary. The economy has gone south. The number of states with legal same-sex marriage has grown. Dioceses have pulled them selves out of the Episcopal Church and affiliated themselves with other Anglican Provinces. The Presiding Bishop initiated a reorganization of the Church Center Staff. All of these will come into play at General Convention.

California here we come.

Peace,
Jeff

1 comment: