Monday, July 6, 2009

Pre-Convention - Day 2

Many of us play multiple roles at Convention. I have three name badges, which allow me access to various parts of Convention for the several roles I have. The green Exhibitor badge allows me into the Exhibit Hall during "set up" hours when the hall is closed to the general public. The blue bordered one with the Ubuntu logo in the corner comes from the Children's Program and lets folks know I am officially part of the Children's Program Staff. The third badge tells everyone that I am an employee of the Episcopal Church Center and gets me into the Church Center Office where we have access to computers, printers, a copier, coffee, snacks, mailboxes, etc.

Today was the first day of the Children's Program. We had more children than we expected--five school-age children, and one toddler. We're still working out some of the kinks, but it's going well. Susan Bek and her team are to be commended for all their hard work preparing for the program. They took the hotel meeting rooms assigned to the program by the General Convention Office and transformed them into much more child friendly spaces.

Here's the nursery:


The Toddler's room:



The Atrium, which incorporates both Catechesis of the Good Shepherd and Godly Play:


The Art room:


The Staff room, with staff:



They had bags made for participants and staff. The children will each get a bag with their name on it to hold their personal items. The bags will be kept in a box that is easily accessible. They are large bags like the eco-friendly bags you can get in many stores these days. Here is the bag:


I hook mine over the handle of my rolling bag so that it drapes across the case, visible for all to see--a rolling billboard!

Work continues on the Discovery Center. This is what it looked like at the end of today:


This evening I attended the Native American/Indigenous Ministries Reception at St. Michael's church. St. Michael's is hosting several receptions and other programs over the course of General Convention. After the reception some of us came back to the hotel to attend a work-related meeting. And after the meeting, a handful of us gathered for a light supper and drinks. I probably should have gone up to my room and gone to bed after the meeting, but I actually felt better after having eaten and spent time with colleagues in an informal setting.
This is what makes our days as long as they are. Convention isn't just about the legislative process for the Episcopal Church. Many liken it to a big family reunion.

It's late, and I'm tired, so I'm off to bed.

Peace,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment