Saturday, July 11, 2009

Convention - Day 5

Schedule-wise today was a light day but also a long day.

We began with an Education Committee meeting at 7:30 a.m. They heard testimony on D064 (Young Adult Gathering in Europe). In comparison with the Youth who have testified over the course of convention, the young adults who spoke to this resolution were ill prepared and poor speakers. The committee also called on Douglas Fenton, the Program Officer for Young Adult and Campus Ministries, who was not much more clear then the young adults. The committee offered several suggestions about how to strengthen the resolution, but there seemed to be little willingness to work with the committee. The resolution was referred to a subcomittee, and we will probably hear their report on Monday.

Two subcommittees brought their reports to this morning's meeting. First, the subcommittee on C014 (Theological Study of Marriage) reported that they were working on a substitute resolution. The subcommittee on B013 (Equipping the Baptized for Ministry in TEC) brought an amendment to the resolution, which the committee spent 15 minutes or so discussing. Finally, they passed the resolution, and it's on its way to the House of Deputies.

This morning we also hear that when the House of Deputies was debating A082 (Charter for Lifelong Christian Formation) an amendment was proposed to remove the word "Episcopal" from it. The amendment was defeated.

Ray Suarez, senior Washington, D.C.-based correspondent for PBS's News Hour, gave the sermon at today's Eucharist. It was the best one I've heard at Convention so far. You can find a copy of it here, and a copy of the ENS story here. He really challenged the conservatives and the "middle-of-the-roaders."

This afternoon I went to the Church Publishing booth to pick up a copy of The Prayer Book Guide to Christian Education (Third Edition) and had it signed by the authors Sharon Pearson and Robyn Szoke. Robyn was my first boss at the Church Center. Actually, all seven people I have reported to during my seven years at the Church Center are here at Convention: Robyn, Thom Chu, Kesha Brennom, Ruth-Ann Collins, Suzanne Watkins, Bob Honeychurch, and Bronwyn Skov.

Also this afternoon, I spent some time with the Chidren's Program. Susan wanted to touch base with MerLynne and me on several issues. And we wanted to see how things were going. The Chaplain Susan scheduled for today was Christine, a deaf priest in the diocese. Susan is also a sign language interpreter, and she interpreted most of the conversations. The more time I spent with them, the more I found myself using sign--at least those signs I remember--as we talked. It surprised me at how quickly it started to come back. Maybe I need to be thinking of taking classes again.

This evening Ruth-Ann and I attended the Virginia Theological Seminary dinner. The seminary had sent invitations to the Church Center and asked specifically for them to be given to lay employees. Both of us decided to attend for political reasons, and I wasn't sure I really wanted to go. However, there were several people there I know, and Kesha, who is a 2009 graduate, and I sat next to each other, which gave us some time to catch up with each other. After the dinner, we took a cab over to Saint Michael's to stop by the Latino/Hispanic reception. It was winding down, but Anthony was glad to see us. We observed a stereotype being broken wide open. Anthony dances like a white guy.

When we returned to the hotel we ended up joining some friends in the hotel bar, so I have been up longer than I originally intended.

Something I forgot to write about yesterday. At yesterday's Eucharist, I stopped to say hello to my friend Ann. She introduced me to her friend, who is the famous Grandmere Mimi.

No buttons today, and no legislative committee meetings tomorrow.

Peace,
Jeff

2 comments:

  1. Have a good Sunday, Jeff. This morning at Grace: Corporate Communion with Iglesia Betania. Huge reception after - food from Grace and Betania both. I have extended my Camp Washington dispensation from not eating food I'm not supposed to eat anymore to include the reception/coffee hour today!

    All of you at GC are in my prayers.

    The secret word is "inderco" - not to be confused with "undercover".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Granmere Mimi. Have you seen also Elizabeth Keaton? What is Sunday's Eucharist?

    ReplyDelete