Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Dying Art?

The August 3rd issue of Time (which came out on Friday July 24th) contained an article titled "I'm 26 years old, and I can't write in cursive," by Claire Suddath. It's an interesting look at the decline (she calls it "the death") of handwriting in our modern culture. Suddath notes:
I am a member of Gen Y, the generation that shunned cursive. And now there is a group coming after me, a boom of tech-savvy children who don't remember life before the Internet and who text-message nearly as much as they talk. They have even less need for good penmanship.
And later:
penmanship has almost no bearing on job performance. And aside from the occasional grocery list or Post-it note, most adults write very little by hand... We are living in the age of social networks and frenzied conversation, composing more e-mails, texting more messages and keeping in touch with more people than ever before. Maybe this is a trade-off. We've given up beauty for speed, artistry for efficiency. And yes, maybe we are a little bit lazy.
I do a lot of writing on the computer, this blog for example. And often it is faster and more efficient. But sometimes, I find it necessary to write a draft or two by hand in order to put my thoughts in order. I also hand write my journal in a notebook. I tried writing on the computer and then printing it out and putting the pages into a three-ring binder, but it seemed mechanical after a while, and I gave it up.

I have no problem text messaging, tweeting on Twitter, or using Facebook to connect with friends and colleagues, though I probably don't "Facebook like a native." But there is something about writing by hand that speaks to my mind and my soul.

Maybe it's my generation--I'll be 50 in January--the tail end of the Baby Boom easing into Gen X. I don't share most of the Boomers' common memories, and my world view has more in common with the Gen Xers. It's like having a foot in two worlds, and hopefully, that experience will keep me flexible in adapting to change and not becoming stuck in my ways.

Peace,
Jeff

2 comments:

  1. I was taught that just as there are various learning styles, there are some people who "hear" through the use of their hands, by writing for instance. I'm one of those. Even when it is not necessary to take notes, I do almost unconsciously, because that's how hearing past just listening occurs for me. Now what I don't know is if learning styles, brain-work styles if you will, are hard-wired or acquired. I do know that typing does not do it for me - to sit in a classroom, for instance, typing away during a lecture is not what is needed. It is the creating with the hand that makes my brain work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of the same thinking behind why coloring or doodling during meetings actually helps people focus.

    ReplyDelete