Thursday, August 27, 2009

How I Came to the Flute

Who knows what might have happened if I'd taken up the flute when offered the choice of continuing music lessons in the fourth grade. I took violin lessons during third grade--the only instrument offered through the music program for third graders. That same year I also joined the Cub Scouts. I completed the one year commitments I'd made and then dropped both.

In eighth grade I joined the guitar group, which I enjoyed, but after a year decided there were other activities I preferred to spend my time on.

It wasn't until my junior year of high school that I began taking flute lessons from the band instructor at Darien High School. Why the flute? I really can't recall. Probably a combination of liking the way it sounded and the fact that it wasn't a reed or a brass instrument. I really enjoyed playing in the Band, especially the Marching Band. It should tell you something that by Christmas I was First Flute Second Chair in the Band and Second Flute First Chair in the Orchestra. As revealing is a picture in my senior year book of part of our Marching Band during a halftime performance. It shows five band members, no two of whom are in step.

Taking lessons with a bona fide flute teacher my freshman year of college was a real eye-opener. I was THE LAST Chair Flute in the Concert Band that year. When I transferred to a smaller college I continued to take lessons, even though we had no instrumental ensemble in which to play. I played occasionally for chapel services, and perhaps during a couple of choir concerts (I honestly don't remember, and would have to dig out my scrapbooks).

I was 16 when I first took up the flute, which means that I've been playing off and on for 33 years. A couple of weeks ago, for the first time in the 20+ years I've belonged to the organization, I attended the National Flute Association Annual Convention. Why? Primarily because it was in New York City, and I didn't have to worry about transportation or hotel costs. I came away having met a new friend, made some connections, and collected a lot of ideas. This blog comes out of that experience as I embark on what I hope will be my continued growth as an amateur flutist.

No comments:

Post a Comment