Friday, August 14, 2009

Did We Do It?

Another early train into the City and a walk across town to get to the hotel. First thing on my agenda upon arrival at the NFA Convention was the attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the World's Largest Flute Ensemble. I joined some 2,000 other flutists in the Broadway Ballroom of the Marriott Marquis to rehearse, first with one of the event organizers. James Galway was in Times Square filming a segment to introduce the attempt. When he arrived, we played "Happy Birthday" for him in honor of his 70th birthday later this year.




Then Sir James rehearsed us. He seemed to spend more time with the first flutes, but some of us in the fourth flute section decided it was because they needed more work than the rest of us. At 10:05 we did the "official" performance for the record. Did we break the it? We don't know yet, they're still counting the registration forms.

Here's a short story from NPR on the event.

Once again, I found that it makes a big difference playing with other musicians. What I didn't think I could play through, I managed to play with minimal mistakes. Not to mention hearing all four parts live. Incredible!

The lecture I attended after the--hopefully--record-breaking performance was somewhat anticlimactic. More than that, it bordered on boring. Kate Clark's presentation on the Renaissance Flute, which consisted mostly of overheads (yes, she used an overhead projector!) of works of Renaissance art depicting musicians of all sorts and excerpts of Renaissance music, fell flat. It is possible to present such material in more interesting ways, as demonstrated by Rachel Brown yesterday. Perhaps Ms. Clark's performance later in the day was more interesting, but I was playing in the flute choir reading session at the time.

The next workshop I participated in was Brian McCoy's Irish Music on the Boehm Flute (the flute most of us are familiar with today). I learned a couple of things I didn't know before, and it was a fun workshop.

When I checked my phone messages after the workshop (unlike some people, I turn my phone OFF during workshops and performances) I had a message from Jonathan suggesting a place to meet. As I was composing a text response, he arrived outside the meeting room. We walked over to 9th Avenue and had lunch at Island Burgers. We talked a lot. We're about the same age and both college educated. We both work in education--he as a tutor at a college in lower Manhattan. And, of course, we both play the flute, although our specific interests are a bit different--he likes Jazz, while I tend toward Baroque and early classical. He's also an artist. At one point I asked him, "Is there anything you don't do?" He laughed and replied, "Many things."

I'm still not sure what it was that sparked his interest. He said he'd first noticed me in the Exhibit Hall and more or less screwed up his nerve to follow me out and initiate a conversation. I'm glad he did. And I'm glad I was open enough to engage in the conversation.

We're hoping our schedules work out so that we can have lunch again tomorrow.

I did try one instrument in the Exhibit Hall this afternoon. Brian McCoy had what turned out to be an aluminum Soprano D Whistle. I found the booth and asked to see one of the whistles. It played like a dream and had great sound. However, the $190 price is a bit beyond me at this point. If I were playing regularly with a dance band, I'd consider it. My plastic Susato does just fine, and I know a couple of professional Irish musicians that play Susatos.

Peace,
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. Exciting! Exciting! EXCITING! On so many different levels.

    ReplyDelete