Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Yankee Rides Out The Storm (And Its Aftermath)

Somehow I managed to set Thursday's post to publish NEXT June 28th, so I'll post it Monday. In the meantime here's an update on the aftermath of last night's storm.

The storm came through between 10:45 and 11:30 p.m. The power actualy went off before the worst of the storm hit, and before it went totally off we had disco light shows in several buildings. (Note to self: buy flashlights for the rooms in the Guest Houses.) This morning we woke to no power along with 1.5 million or so others, reports of winds clocked at 85 m.p.m with 85 m.p.h. gusts., and forecasts of 100+ degree temperatures. A couple of the summer session folks ran out to Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks and brought back coffee, bagels, and doughnuts. Over our impromptu breakfast we discussed contingency plans, and then the power came back on a little before 9:00 a.m.

Of course, we're still not problem free. The Guest Houses and the Dorms have power but no air conditioning. Well, most of the Guest Houses and Dorms. Things are connected strangely in places around campus. I have one guest room without power entirely, and in my office, which is next door to that room, the thermostat is out even though the a/c unit fan is running. In my apartment upstairs the thermostats have no power, one kitchen outlet has no power, and the kitchen closet light doesn't work. The lounge next door to my apartment also has a thermostat with no power. We still don't know when the the power to those systems will be up and running.

We decided to extend the hours of the Welcome Center, which usually closes at 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays, because it has both power and a/c. An email went out to the student, staff, and faculty lists letting them know, since some of them live off campus in areas that have no power. Some folks have come to cool off and charge their cell phones, laptops, and tablets. I'm sure there will be more before the day ends.

Right after lunch I drove down to Old Town to pick up a couple of packages that were waiting for me. There were no working traffic lights between the seminary and the King Street Metro Station. One intersection had a four-way stop sign placed in the center of it. At the rest you pretty much had to take your chances, though most people treated the intersections as four-way stops. But not everyone. Old Town has power, and there were plenty of tourists. I had some other errands I planned to do today, but given the situation, it seemed like a good idea to stay on or near campus. And we didn't really know what road or power conditions were heading south

We have our share of severe storms in New England, and I experienced many in the Midwest while visiting relatives as a child and later while at college and graduate school. This one really wasn't any different. I have my shelf of emergency food that doesn't need to be refridgerated or cooked. I have my hand-crank flashlight/radio from LL Bean. However, I do miss having a gas stove. I know how to maximize the use of window shades and open/closed windows to keep the apartment somewhat cool, and I know to drink plenty of water.

Like almost anyplace I've been during severe weather, people are pulling together to make sure everyone is okay. I'm glad I could help by staffing the Welcome Center for the afternoon to make it available.

1 comment:

  1. We got the news you were okay and, like the person who reported, we didn't have any idea why you phoned to tell her. For my part, being completely absorbed in churchy things is not good for awareness of those outside my head!

    I'm very glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete