Sunday, June 3, 2012

One Month In

As I've said before, it took me years to unlearn the academic calendar, and now look where I am! Not only that, I came into it at the end of a school year. I spent those end-of-term weeks living in the temporary guest house, which sits near other faculty homes. And eating my most of my meals with students. For the last week I've been in my apartment, which is at the other end of campus amidst the dorms. To say it's quiet now that the spring term is over is an understatement.

But it is my apartment, and it's not like when I lived on campus without a car during my own college years. I'm slowly building a community that is separate from the Seminary. I took a break from one piece of that today. I didn't visit a church. I just didn't feel like dealing with the whole being a visitor thing. I toyed with the idea of going back to either Christ Church or St. Clement's, but in the end I decided to stay home.

Instead I lined kitchen shelves and drawers, since the pod is due tomorrow. I have to go get more, but at the moment I'm pretty sure I have more cupboards and drawers than I have dishes and utensils. And I looked at the space in my rooms to figure out where furniture will go initially and where to stack boxes for unpacking. I'm pretty sure I have more bookcases than I need, given the built-ins in the living room. I learned in my last apartment that it makes no sense to hang on to things because I might need them in the next place. It's just a waste of space, especially since the things I purged after two years in the Elmcrest Terrace apartment wouldn't have worked in this new space at all.

So here I am. New apartment. New job. New city. New state. One month isn't enough time to feel settled in any of them. It isn't even long enough to get a feel for the Seminary routine. Or to experience any real homesickness. Everything is still too new.

And that leaves a lot to explore!

2 comments:

  1. What an exciting place to be. Lucky you. A new world waiting to be found. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration Jeff. That's a whole lot of change. And you are handling it all very, very well.

    ReplyDelete