Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Re-What?

Yesterday I blogged for the first time in a week when I posted on my other blog (A Connecticut Yankee in Robert E. Lee's Back Yard). Usually I'm pretty good at keeping up with the Monday and Thursday posting schedule, even if I don't post regularly here, but last week just seemed to slip by. Some evenings were disrupted by the needs of folks in the dorms who were here for a program. Other evenings I just had no motivation to write.

Maybe it was the heat. The week started out fairly cool, but Tuesday the humidity started to climb. By Wednesday the temperature reached the mid-90's, and Weather Service issued extreme heat warnings. It stayed in the 90's for three days, which was the definition of a heat wave at one time. Friday night the climate control system in my building went on the fritz and didn't get fixed until late Saturday morning. So maybe it was the weather.

Or maybe it's been the sense of dislocation. As I said yesterday when I talked about architecture, a lot of things contribute to that feeling. Today as I cleaned the apartment I was really aware of how large it is compared to my last place. That is NOT a complaint. I'm looking forward to picking out new furniture over the next few months. But after almost seven years in less than 500 square feet, it's an adjustment.

I'm coming to realize that it's not just readjustment. It's pretty much re-inventing my life. For the first time in almost 20 years I'm looking at a future that is not centered on the church. Don't laugh. I know I'm at Virginia Theological Seminary. No. Do laugh. God definitely has a sense of humor!

I think I'm going to take a walk around my new home and enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. The openess you must be feeling from more living space, a job that is not as structured as previous postions, the spread of the campus, and the obvious limitless opportunities has got to be disorienting. But what a GREAT way to be disoriented. You'll settle in soon.

    ReplyDelete