Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cooking for One Again

I've said before that in the time it takes to prepare a meal for one you can prepare a meal for four. At the end of a work day it's so much easier in terms of time and energy to throw a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones into the microwave. But it's not necessarily satisfying even though it fills your stomach.

Meals in the refectory when it's open are part of my package at the Seminary. Most days I found it possible to stay within my diet program eating in the refectory during first couple of weeks I was here. But there were occasional evenings when I took a look at the line and saw nothing I could eat or wanted to eat. Those evenings, and most evenings since commencement (the refectory isn't open between academic sessions), I ended up either going to the Cafe or off campus for many of my evening meals. Now that I have a fully functioning kitchen and everything is unpacked I can cook for myself.

This evening I fixed my first meal in the new kitchen that didn't involve throwing a frozen dinner or some instant oatmeal into the microwave. It was a simple supper of salad, a whole wheat sandwich round, and a couple of grilled bratwursts. Simple, not too long to prepare, and satisfying on many levels.

The other great thing about having a large eat-in kitchen is that I can entertain again. My last apartment was so small that it made having guests next to impossible. I'm looking forward to having my first guests in the near future and cooking for more than one.

3 comments:

  1. Great news Jeff. I hope there are lots of wonderful farmers markets to discover. At some time I may come visit. Our daughter will be working in Berryville, VA starting in July so I hope to get to that part of the world once or twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two quite close. One every Saturday (all year) in Old Town, which has been running continuously for something like 300 years. The other is in Cameron Station, the development they built on an old military installation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to dinner.... at some point!

    ReplyDelete