Monday, June 11, 2012

A Visit to Saint Christopher's

Last week my friend Kellee invited me to visit her church on Sunday. They planned to honor their graduating high school seniors, and her youngest was among them. And after two weeks, it was time to visit to another parish.

I arrived about 15 minutes early for the 10:30 service and spent the time with Bob and two of their kids. Kellee was running around checking up on things, as any good Director of Christian Formation does. Before we went in, Adam asked if I would video tape his talk, since he expected his parents would be emotional and not focus on taping. Kellee rejoined us, and we went in.

The church is primarily a half circle with another half circle that is a narthex and gathering space. The wall behind the altar opens up, which allows the two spaces to be used as one. The altar stands on a round platform surrounded by a rail. A large carved cross hangs from the ceiling below a circular piece. Whoever redesigned the lighting for the sanctuary didn't think things through. The way the lights shine on the cross and circle creates a cat mask shadow on the wall behind the altar.

It's nice to attend church with people you know. I was a visitor, but because I was with Kellee and Bob, I was pretty much left alone except by those Kellee and Bob introduced to me. As it turns out, so far attending church is the only time I get the least bit homesick. It never fails. At some point during the service at every church I've visited I've teared up. At least this Sunday I was with someone who understood.

Four of the graduating seniors spoke at sermon time. They spoke from the heart, and they it was clear that they valued their experience at St. Christopher's. For all the precaution Adam took to make sure his parents didn't have to deal with the camera, I think he cried more than Kellee did during his talk.

During announcements each of they presented each of the seniors with a large gift bag with things for their first year of college, including a prayer shawl. This is the first parish I've visited with an active prayer shawl ministry.
After the service Kellee took me on a tour of her education/formation spaces, which she shares with a preschool. It was also the day of their end-of-year cookout. I didn't stick around very long because I had plans to go to an early afternoon movie with friends.

So this may not be the parish I end up at, but it's definitely a place where I can find refuge on those Sundays, like last Sunday, when I don't feel up to the whole visitor experience.

Thanks, Kellee!

3 comments:

  1. That's St. Christopher's Springfield - I found the website. Am becoming envious of those who have more than five pages to work with(!).
    I checked out the photo gallery because I wanted to see this worship space. So, no pews.
    I'm enjoying visiting other churches with you, Jeff. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for the record, there's not a Sunday that goes by that we don't miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, St. Christopher's Springfield. I usually post a link and forgot this time. www.saintchristophers.net.

    ReplyDelete