Monday, April 11, 2011

So Begins Another Week

Monday's aren't that much different from any other day when you're unemployed. Even on Saturdays and Sundays you can network and send out resumes. But it's still a convenient way to track a cycle and keep to a schedule.

And it is the day I file my unemployment claim for the previous week.

Today marks my 101st day of unemployment. Just over three months, which isn't really that long compared to my previous periods of unemployment. In many ways I've had a more constructive time than in the past. I have a really good outplacement counselor. I have a better professional network than I've ever had. I've had job leads a lot earlier in the process.

That isn't to say that I don't get discouraged. So far very few of the leads have resulted in interviews, and none of the interviews have resulted in job offers.

But today is the beginning of a new week.

To prepare for the week, I sit down Sunday evening and go through my calendar. I transfer the coming week's meetings and major task due dates to the white board schedule. I put my To Do list on the small white board. It turns out that this is a busy week. The only day I have nothing scheduled--yet--is Friday. Saturday will be my busiest day with two meetings at church, a class, and probably dinner with friends.

And so begins another week. Another week closer to new horizons.

2 comments: