Saturday, April 9, 2011

Second Weekend in April

For the past few years, this weekend has meant a drive up to Southington with my friend Rees for one of the few (and some years, the only) Depression Glass shows in the area. After a couple of years of shrinking vendor participation, this year we found more booths than the last time we went.

This is what started it all.


I have eight of these that belonged to Grandma Harre. Rees saw them when I used them to serve dessert one evening at my apartment. Shortly after that she took me to my first glass show. It took me a couple of shows before I finally identified the pattern as Cambridge Glass' Elaine. Of course, it is one of the harder patterns to find! I saw three pieces at the show, only one of which I do not have, an ice bucket:


Needless to say, at $235, it didn't come home with me.

I did find one really spectacular deal, a set of eight Cambridge Diane champagne glasses for $55. Usually, the champagne glasses sell for about $20 each.


However, Diane isn't one of the patterns I collect, so they stayed with the dealer. The only other pieces that tempted me were an interesting relish tray and a purple-tinted Diane glass. Although neither was a pattern I collect, they were interesting enough that I considered purchasing one or the other. In the end, I bought neither. I did enjoy looking though.

After the show, Rees took me to lunch at Red Lobster in Danbury--a belated birthday lunch.

What better way to spend a beautiful Spring day than with a good friend doing something fun together?

2 comments:

  1. an absolutely perfect day to spend with a friend. I'm happy that you chose to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice, Jeff. I used to collect antique crystal - no particular pattern but more to do with color and shape. I'm a sucker for cobalt blue and "jules" red - the deep red found in medieval stained glass windows.

    BTW, we have disbanded Mission Congregation as being redundant of Practicing Prayer and Shawl Ministry and of having done its work. It was a peaceful decision.

    ReplyDelete