Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter?

Officially Lent is over. In some circles, it was over last Sunday. In my case, as my spiritual director often says, my life seems to be Lent.

Attending church has been rote activity. My prayer life has been rote. I did take on a Lenten discipline, which involved a regular schedule of prayer several times a day using Phillys Tickle's The Divine Hours, Pocket Edition. Rote.

On the other hand, if it hadn't been for church/religious activities, I wouldn't have left the house this week. In fact, I probably wouldn't have got dressed at all. So I did leave the house at least once a day.

Monday - Passover Seder
Tuesday - Education for Ministry
Wednesday - Stations of the Cross
Thursday - Maundy Thursday supper and stripping of the altar
Friday - Good Friday service
Saturday - Easter Vigil
Today - Easter Sunday service

There are some exciting things going on at our parish, things I'm part of. But lately, attending services gives me a headache. The reason for the headache is good. Most services are bilingual because of our growing relationship with Iglesia Betania. The two congregations are gradually merging into one community. But operating in two languages (one of which is my fourth) when church has become a rote activity brings on a headache.

And going to church also means gearing up to intuit how much people who ask me how I'm doing really want to know. Screaming, "I'm unemployed, the economy sucks, and job hunting is a pain in the @##! How do you think I feel?" just isn't an option. Nor is advice about praying particularly helpful just now (see above,"rote").

Let's face it, this past week just plain sucked. The week coming up doesn't look much better.

The promise of Dance Camp next weekend should get me through.

2 comments:

  1. "I'm unemployed, the economy sucks, and job hunting is a pain in the @##! How do you think I feel?" just isn't an option.

    Oh yes it is! Or, I suppose you could say, "I know you mean well. You do care, but what I really want to say when people ask me this question is "I'm unemployed, the economy sucks, and job hunting is a pain in the @##! How do you think I feel?" so unless you have a job to offer me, thanks for caring, but having to answer for myself over and over is becoming a bit wearing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And sometimes, indulging in a well-deserved, long overdue full out blue funk IS the right answer. I agree with Lois- who knows, it may actually give you a job lead!

    ReplyDelete