Friday, October 23, 2009

Off to Dance Camp

In a few hours I'll be off to Becket, MA for the Lavender Country and Folk Dancers' 20th Anniversary Dance Camp. The Fall leaves should be pretty close to their peak in that part of the Berkshires, and, in spite of the rain forecast for tomorrow, we should have a great time.

It never ceases to amaze me that I can go to Ireland for two weeks in a carry on, but I fill the trunk of my car for a weekend dance camp. Of course, it is Fall in New England, so I have to pack for weather that ranges from sun to rain and from 70 to 35. Bedding, lots of shirts, a costume for Saturday night, and let's not forget my flute.

Sometimes there will be a musicians' workshop. Sometimes the band will let us sit in with them--especially on Saturday night. From time to time a group of us will play one dance on Saturday night, which means the band members get to dance. This weekend there is an opportunity for a group of us to play for dancing regularly. I'm guessing that it will probably be for the English Country dancing, but I won't know for sure until I get to Becket.

So, here's what I'm taking: Flute, Whistles, Recorders, Tune Books, Music Stand, Clothes Pins (for holding music in breezy situations), Pitch Pipe, Tuner (which I remembered to add in after I took the picture), and My "Practice" Music

And here's what it looks like all packed up in my music bag, which is actually a tote I bought from LL Bean or Land's End a number of years ago. There's even room for some other odds and ends like my camera, flashlight, travel clock, journal, etc.

And away we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment