Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Balance

Why do I play the flute?

I like to make music. I enjoy playing in a group with others. I like the challenge of learning new music (well, most of the time). I enjoy playing for dancers. I'm sure most of you have a similar list and could add to mine.

Different reasons at different times.

There have been times being able to pull out my flute and play some dance and pop tunes has helped maintain my sanity. It is so different from anything else I do. It taps into the right brain creative capacities, yet it involves the logic and method of left brain thinking. It involves balance for someone who can get stuck in his left brain.

Balance is important in life as well. Playing the flute provides some of that balance in my own life. I rediscovered that when I attended the National Flute Association Convention in August. Since then I've been very intentional about incorporating time for practice in my schedule--almost daily, but not quite. The discipline of making that time has also shown me that I can incorporate time for other important things.

I've pulled out a craft project that's been sitting in a box in the storage closet for months and started working on it. I've pulled out the list of books I want to read and started reading them. I'm being more intentional about staying in touch with friends AND getting together with them. I'm being more diligent about keeping the boundaries between work and personal life--hard to do when you work for the denominational headquarters of your church.

Have I been successful at all of this? My closet perfectionist would say, "No!!" But I'm learning that success can be measured by the small steps made toward a goal.

All that from a metal tube with holes and keys.

1 comment: