Sunday, February 15, 2009

Where Am I?

After a week of waiting, having had a hint but not wanting to say anything until I received official word, my discernment committee let me know that they were recommending me for postulancy. The committee filled out the required form, which I had to read and sign the statement at the end:
I have read and understood the response. If the Nominee wishes to respond to this statement please attach a separate sheet.
Well, I did read it. And I did understand it. I'm just not sure it ought to go forward in its present form with my application to the Diocese. Mom's initial reaction was, "Where's Jeffri in this?" My concern is that they seem to say that I should be admitted to postulancy because I've persevered through a rather tortuous process--some 16 years of it. Maybe the long process has colored how I see their responses. They still concern me.

I approached this discernment committee differently than the previous two. I went in assuming it would be a safe place. I went in prepared to speak what I felt without censoring or editing my thoughts before they left my mouth. I went in knowing that I had to be totally open with these five people. Yet I have to wonder if they listened and heard all that I shared with them. Where is the sense of my ministry among them? In the congregation? In the community?

Some of this I can respond to by attaching the "get thee to a nunnery" letter from Bishop Coleridge and outlining my conversations with Bishop Smith. Some will be expanded upon in the spiritual autobiography I must write to go with the application. And some of it I can respond to directly, as outlined in the statement I signed. It may be that someone (Me? Lois?) needs to request that they provide more in-depth responses. And prayer will be involved.

In the meantime, I have financial information to document, transcripts to request, a spiritual autobiography to write, and some theoretical projections to make. Not to mention coming up with $600 as my third of the application fee.

Prayer will be involved.

Peace,
Jeff
(14)

1 comment:

  1. I think incolmplete would be a kind way of describing the "response."

    ReplyDelete