Friday, February 6, 2009

An Oasis Of Crosses

Working for a church organization does have its advantages. We can have a Christmas party in December. We have the opportunity to attend Morning Prayer and a noon Eucharist every day. Employees don't have to worry about displaying symbols of their faith. One of my colleagues is Native American. She decorated her cubical with some sacred objects and beautiful artwork with Native spirituality themes. I have my prayer corner.


I do not perform any work in this corner of my cubicle. This is where I pray, meditate, and reflect. You can see a Book of Common Prayer, a Bible, prayer cards, pictures of sacred sites, and of course, my collection of crosses--though not all of it.

I bought this "Elements Cross" in the bookstore at the retreat center where the Evangelism & Congregational Life Center had it first retreat together after the reorganization. The carved designs represent the four elements of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.

Not everything hanging in this corner is a cross. To the left of this cross you can see half of a medallion depicting St. Brigid of Ireland. If you look closely at the picture of my corner, you can find a pewter coyote, a pair of beeswax candles, and a small crystal a friend brought back from her time with John of God in Brazil.



I found the cross on the left, along with another small one, in my desk drawer when I began working at the Church Center. One of my colleagues said they were leftover giveaways from some part of previous Episcopal Youth Events. The middle ceramic Celtic Cross I bought during my first trip to Ireland. I usually try to buy work by local artists when I travel, and I brought several back to give to friends. On the far right is a "Preaching Cross" I purchased at General Convention 2006 in Columbus, OH. I haven't yet worn it when preaching.

A couple of years ago I participated in an ecumenical gathering of educators to work on an antiracism/multicultural curriculum for children. During our closing worship, each of us received one of the small crosses here on the left.

Bishop Riah, the previous Bishop of Jerusalem, gave me the olive wood Jerusalem Cross at "Will Our Faith Have Children?" in February 2003. That was the conference when everyone was afraid we wouldn't be able to get to Chicago in February. Instead, we got stuck at the end of the conference because a major snowstorm hit the East Coast.

My colleague Ruth-Ann gave me this ceramic crucifix during our first trip to the Dominican Republic for a meeting of the Episcopal Council for Christian Education. It was at that meeting enough people spoke to her about applying for the Staff Officer for Children's Ministries & Christian Education position at the Church Center. She served in that position, which made her my boss, for one year--until the reorganization. Now she is a valued colleague and a dear friend.








Because of my corner, colleagues often bring back crosses when they travel. This simple wooden cross came back from the Philippines when my colleague and friend Angie visited her family there after attending an Asian Ministries conference in Taiwan. She also brought back a traditional shirt, which I hope to be able to wear by the time Summer begins.










This large mosaic cross was made for me by a member of the Episcopal Council for Christian Education as a "thank you and farewell" gift after the reorganization took me out of Children's Ministries. By the time she brought it to me my boss had moved me into the Children's Formation position, so it became a "welcome back, we missed you" gift.

If you look to the right of this one in the picture of my corner, you'll see one made of Tinker Toys (the new plastic ones). We made them during a meeting of the Episcopal Council for Christian Education on Long Island a couple of years ago.




The latest addition to my collection is this small Ethiopian Cross. My colleague Clay brought it back from his pilgrimage to Ethiopia at the end of January. He has wonderful stories, and we are all waiting for his written "report."

This cross was cast in silver alloy using the lost wax method. It is designed to go on a staff, but as it's only about 6" tall, it isn't a Processional Cross. Although, I've seen some on the Internet that aren't much bigger called "Small Processional Crosses," and looking at pictures of Ethiopian priests carrying crosses (that are not the hand crosses), you can see a wide variety of sizes.



Peace,
Jeff
(12)

No comments:

Post a Comment