Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The State Of The Church

There has not been much, if any, angst coming out of the Primates' meeting in Alexandria, Egypt. Of course, I haven't gone to read David Virtue's site, or that place I refuse to read. I will not go read those blogs. I will not go read those blogs. I will NOT go read THOSE blogs! I won't even provide links. Colin Coward of Changing Attitude has been blogging from Alexandria. I recommend you go and read his reports.

Meanwhile, back here in the States, we at the denominational headquarters of the Episcopal Church are once again mired in the budget process as we deal with follow up from last week's Executive Council meeting. We've been at this for six months, and we probably will not be finished until the first Executive Council meeting after July's General Convention. As with churches across the country, declining revenue is taking its toll on our budget. More on that when I have something I can say publicly.

Grace will probably be closing its doors in two years.

The diocese wants $1,800 for an application for the Nominee Application Process for Holy Orders. $600 from the Nominee, $600 from the parish, and $600 from itself. And that's just the tip of the iceberg should I be put forward. The church seriously needs to rethink its system for educating clergy.

Prayer. That's about all I can do right now.

Peace,
Jeff

2 comments:

  1. The church needs to rethink its purpose of priesthood first. With dwindling parish attendance/participation just what will the role of the priest be in our future? THAT is what we have to think about. Then we can think about the education piece. Of course, the church cannot or will not accept the changes that are happening. So here we are stuck without the guidance and support that we really need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The role of the priest, besides sacramentalist, will be closer to that of rabbi. The congregations that thrive will be those whose life together is centered on Christian practice, primarily theological reflection, hospitality and community building. Sound familiar?

    The Diana Butler-Bass conference was excellent. More after I rest up - probably by a week from Sunday!

    the secret word is ratfuste

    ReplyDelete