Monday, April 7, 2008

Unpacking Into A New Job

Two weeks ago, right after Easter, most of us in the Ministries with Young People Cluster had to pack up our offices. The actual packing week was last week, except that all but one of us was on the road for all or part of the week. Essentially, we had two days to pack, because Easter Monday was a holiday, and those of us in the new Evangelism and Congregational Life Center went on retreat Thursday and Friday. We packed in boxes rather than the plastic orange crates that were distributed during the "official" packing week.

Last Friday they shut down the computers and phones, and the actual move itself began. Over the weekend boxes and crates were moved out, offices painted, offices and cubicles cleaned, and new occupants' boxes and crates moved in. This is what awaited me when I walked to my new work area on the 5th Floor:


Since I started a new job today, only five boxes, my plant, and a file rack went to my new cubicle. Essentially, I'm almost back to the same physical location I started out in almost six years ago. This is the stack of boxes waiting for me in my new cubicle:


You can see my colleague Angie in the cubicle to the left. She and I traveled to Vancouver together to attend the Start Up! Start Over! conference as part of our training for our new positions. She also had to pack in boxes instead of the orange crates.

Also waiting, connected and ready to go, were my phone (with a new extension) and my computer:

May God the Father
be the guardian of this place
and bring His peace.

May his love be shared,
and his will be found here,
and peace between all people.

May the Spirit bring lightness and laughter here.

May He be the strengthener and comforter
in times of difficulty.

May the Lord give peace
but never complacency.

Here may encouragement be found
and relationships strengthened.

Each day, every day,
each going out, and each returning,
the Lord bless you and keep you.

Peace between person and person;
peace between all who work here;
the peace of Christ above all peace;
peace between friends
each day and every day.

I pray for all who work here.
May the joy and peace of heaven
be with with you and around you.
The Lord bless you.

Christ, in our coming
and in our leaving,
be the Door and the Keeper
for us
and all who work within this place,
this day and every day,
ever and always.
Amen.

---Celtic Daily Prayer, pp. 151-152

This cubicle is "backwards" from my old one. I had to do some thinking about how I wanted to set it up. It will probably take some more tinkering as I settle in. So here's the same side of the cubicle where the boxes were:


You can see Angie settling in to her cubicle, and Monna, who used to sit next to me, is back by the windows. And here's the other side of my cubicle:


The corridor outside my office has fewer crates and boxes, but some major stacks still remain to be unpacked by folks who are on the road during the first part of this week. This morning I also moved the files for my old department from one side of the floor to the other. Tomorrow we have to pack up and move an "intern" cubicle that no one had time to deal with in the last two weeks. We'll also have to unpack the "vacant" office where they put all the contents of the former Ministries with Young People's director's office.

I still do not have a clear idea of what my new job entails. However, I have the opportunity participate in the creation of this new position. I've not had that kind of opportunity before, and I'm actually looking forward to the challenge, even if it is a bit frustrating at times.

In case you're wondering about the back left corner of my cubicle, I have a collection of crosses that I've picked up during my travels or that people have given me. Many of them hung on one wall of my old cubicle. As I looked my new space, this corner just sort of presented itself. It became more than just a display area for my collection. It is now my meditation/prayer corner. Along with the crosses are some prayer cards, pictures, and a bible and a Book of Common Prayer. This should help remind me to include prayer in my daily routine at the office.

Blessed are you, O God, ruler of the universe. Your gifts are many, and in wisdom you have made all things to give you glory. Be with us now and bless us as we dedicate our use of this space to your praise and honor. As often as we worship you here, precede us and abide with us. Be known to us in the Word spoken and heard, in fellowship with one another. Give us joy in all your works, and grant that this space may be a place where your will is done and your name glorified; through Jesus Christ our Savior, in the power of the Holy Spirit, we pray. Amen.

---The Book of Occasional Services (2003), p. 245

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment