Thursday, April 3, 2008

Bible Study With The Bishops: Oh, Them

Reading Plan Text for April 4: John 7:40-52

After Jesus' speech in the last passage, the crowd is again discussing who they think he is. He must be the Messiah. But the Messiah isn't supposed to come from Galilee. Their opinion is divided.

The temple police sent to arrest Jesus return to the priests and the Pharisees without him. Why? Because they, too, have heard Jesus and are as divided in their opinions as the crowd is. The priests and the Pharisees are furious. How can the police have been deceived? None of us believe him! And the mob--those common people--they know nothing!

How many times have we heard religious leaders dismiss the thoughts and opinions of those they don't agree with.

Those people don't really know the Bible/Talmud/Koran/Sacred Writing.
Those people aren't true Christians/Jews/Muslims/Believers.
Those people don't know the truth.
Those people...

How many times have we heard religious leaders dismiss very people they are responsible for and to?

Those people aren't educated.
Those people don't know the law.
Those people don't have any expertise in religious issues.
Those people...

Oh, them. They don't count.

Sometimes someone will speak up, like Nicodemus in this passage. And what happens?

You can't possibly believe that.
Are you really one of us?
Maybe you're one of those people.
Those people...

Oh, them. They don't count

I learned a long time ago that those people often have something valuable to teach us. It is a lesson that I need to be reminded of again, and again, and again. I was reminded of it again here in Vancouver. The chaplain for the conference is an Episcopal priest from the Midwest. However, his manner of prayer appeared to me as Evangelical. I've had run-ins with Evangelicals over and over again who consider me one of those people. Yet there have been Evangelical Christians who have taught me many valuable things, including how to look at some troubling scripture passages. The chaplain here is one of the gentlest, non-judgmental people I've encountered. His prayers have spoken to me and brought some new insights. He has connected me, and other conference participants, with God, Jesus, and the Spirit.

Those people don't think like I do.
Those people don't act like I do.
Those people don't believe like I do.
Those people...

Oh, them. Maybe they have something to teach me.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment