Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The ECL Greenway

The number of plants in our part of the 5th floor grows on what sometimes seems like a daily basis. We've dubbed it the "Evangelism & Congregational Life" (ECL) Greenway. Compare this picture with the ones I took the day we settled into our new spaces.


Angie and Sheryl keep bringing more plants into their cubicles, and I'd been thinking for a while about bringing in some herbs. Since I spend more of my waking hours during the week here in the office, why shouldn't I have my "herb garden" here where I can enjoy it. Plus there's someone to take care of them when I travel, just as I help take care of their plants when they are away.

Sunday I went to Gilbertie's in Westport on the off chance that they would have at least some of what I wanted this early in the season. As it turned out, they had pretty much everything I wanted.

This planter, which I also found at Gilbertie's, has a Grey Lady Plymouth Scented Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) in the center. Its rose scent comes without the allergic reaction I have to roses themselves. In the back left is Prostrate, or Creeping, Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis 'Prostratus'), in the back right is Oregano Thyme (Thymus pulegioides) , and in front English Thyme (Thymus vulgaris).

And on the other side of my desk is a Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla) in a biodegradable pot that is supposed to last about five years.

As you can tell, I picked herbs with strong scents. There's something about being able to rub the foliage and smell lemon, thyme, rosemary, oregano, or rose. It's like taking a short revitalizing break without leaving my desk.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment