Sunday, April 13, 2008

Bible Study With The Bishops: Frustration

Reading Plan Text for April 14: John 8:48-59

This interminable chapter of circular arguments is finally coming to an end, and Jesus has finally pushed the crowd too far.
"Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am." So they picked up stones to throw at him... (8:58-59)
I am not entirely sure I blame them. Jesus has been pushing their buttons throughout his entire discourse. I see him here as the teacher who, when asked by a student how to spell a word, tells the student to look the word up in the dictionary. Do that enough times, and the student becomes frustrated and soon gives up even trying. Is it any wonder the crowd has picked up stones to throw?

Of course, Jesus is actually answering their questions. The information is there in front of them, but can they understand it? Would you give a first grader a calculus text to answer math questions? This feels like a total contrast to the passage from John read in church this morning, which the Reading Plan won't get to until next week--the Good Shepherd.

I'm not sure what else to say.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment