Thursday, April 17, 2008

Living Your Strengths - Part 4

Today I went into "Learner Mode" and did some research on the web about the StrengthsFinder Instrument and Living Your Strengths. What I found was fascinating. Several colleges and universities are using Strengths-Based principles for students and faculty. The two most comprehensive that I looked at today were the Noel Academy for Strengths-Based Leadership and Education at AzusaPacific University in California and Baylor University's (Texas) Student Life Calling & Strengths pages.

The Noel Academy has downloadable resources for Faculty and Student Service Professionals. There is a Strengths Themes Discussion Guide, a StrengthsFinder Validity Study, and probably the most interesting in terms of Living Your Strengths, a Spirituality Journey Camper Notebook. Here are the Discussion Guide Questions for my Signature Themes:
  • Learner – What are you learning that is exciting to you? What types of things do you like to learn about? Tell me about your last trip to the library? You went to look for a magazine article, went straight to the mag rack, got it, copied it, and left…?? How do you learn best?
  • Input – What stimulates you intellectually? Do you have a collection of any kind? What are you most curious about/want to know more about?
  • Intellection – You like to think and exercise your muscles in your brain. What have you been thinking about lately? What types of courses/activities stimulate your thinking? Do you spend much time writing/journaling/listing your ideas/reflecting?
  • Achiever – Tell me about a typical day for you. What is it like to have this strength? What do you enjoy about your day? What goals are you working toward?
  • Focus – What goals do you have for yourself? How do you keep track of how you are doing with your goals? How does your focus strength help you when it comes to studying?
Obviously, these are aimed at an academic community, but they can serve as a starting point.

The Baylor University pages were a lot more interesting to me, especially the Grow Spiritually resources. Here you will find Strengths Inspired Prayer, Strengths Inspired Devotionals, and a Theology of Strengths. There are prayers for all 34 themes but devotionals for only some. Here are the prayers for my Themes:
  • Learner: Lord, thank you for the process of learning and self-improvement. Help me find joy in outcomes.
  • Input: Lord, thank you for the desire to collect and archive all kinds of information. Help me distinguish majors from minors and when "enough is enough."
  • Intellection: Lord, thank you for intellectual discussions and challenges for the mind. Help me give credence to emotions and words of the heart.
  • Achiever: Lord, thank you that I have the stamina to work hard and be productive.Help me to "be still and know that you are God."
  • Focus: Lord, thank you for allowing me the concentration to prioritize and act on a task. Help me always keep the big picture in mind.
I also found many congregations in a variety of denominations using Living Your Strengths in small groups, leadership workshops, and a surprising number of Stewardship programs. And here's one I couldn't resist simply because of the name: Church Marketing Sucks.

And I'm having the hardest time typing "strengths." I keep typing "strenghts" instead. Mom pointed out that "ght" is the more common letter combination.

Peace,
Jeffri

    No comments:

    Post a Comment