Sunday, November 29, 2009

Waltzing While Fluting Update

Lately several friends have been commenting that I have lost weight. While the scale shows a minimal shedding of pounds, my clothes are looser, and I recently bought slacks that are a waist size smaller. What have I been doing? Nothing special, and nothing too difficult. I've been eating smaller portions, and I've cut back on starchy carbs. In addition I've been walking almost every day. Sometimes it's only for 20 minutes, but it is almost every day.

Just like practicing flute almost every day, walking is becoming a habit, and it helps with my flute playing. It is increasing my breath capacity and my stamina. However, I'm also getting some aerobic exercise during most of my practice sessions. I've been working waltzing while playing the Margravine's Waltz for longer periods of time. At first I was winded after waltzing and playing the tune three times through. How on earth did I manage to march and play for an entire halftime show, let alone a whole Memorial Day parade?

Well, for starters, I bicycled practically everyplace I went. And we practiced playing and marching on a regular basis. So I practice waltzing and playing most days, and I walk most days. Now I'm up to a little over seven minutes before I stop. That's long enough for the idea I'm noodling around. And that's about as much aerobics as I need to be doing in the middle of practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment