Monday, November 16, 2009

Balancing Act

This evening I picked up my flute for the first time in a week. I didn't play last Tuesday, Wednesday through Friday afternoon I attended the National Association for Episcopal Education Directors board meeting, and Friday evening I went dancing. Saturday I got so involved in miscellaneous stuff that I not only didn't pick up the flute, I missed my friend's fundraising event. Sunday I managed to oversleep and miss church and then spent the afternoon and evening with friends.

Hey! You're supposed to be practicing your flute every day!

Pay no attention to the perfectionist behind the curtain! Playing the flute is supposed to be something I enjoy, not something I use to make myself crazy. I have my job and my parish that are more than capable of doing that, if I let them.

I've written about balance before. Balance takes practice. Practice leaving my job at the office door at the end of the day. Practice taking time for prayer. Practice exercising regularly. Practice making time to see friends. Practice not overscheduling. Practice saying no.

Life is a balancing act, and practice makes... not perfect, but healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment