Monday, November 9, 2009

Time Away

Yesterday evening I returned from a four day, three city trip that began at 4:00 a.m. Thursday with a van shuttle to LaGuardia Airport. I flew to Washington, DC for an all day meeting of the National Council of Churches Committee on Public Education and Literacy in Arlington, VA. I spent Friday traveling from Arlington, VA to Williamsport, PA via Metro, Amtrak, and car. Saturday, along with my colleagues, I led a Safeguarding God's Children training session and then drove to Harrisburg. Sunday I took Amtrak to New York City and then Metro North home.

And I was supposed to practice when? And where?

I have learned that it just isn't worth the space and weight to take my flute along on a business trip. Even if I do mange to find the time to practice, there really isn't any place to practice, either. Hotels don't offer practice rooms as part of their amenities. On the other hand, I have also learned that I can practice without my flute while traveling.

One of the folders in my bag for this trip contained my working copy (the photocopy I've scribbled all over as I work through it) of the Bach Partita in a minor. Every day at lunch or dinner I snagged a new drinking straw and used it practice breathing and articulation with the Partita in the evenings, even if it was only for five minutes. When I practiced the piece on my flute this evening I noticed a distinct improvement. And not just in my articulation. My intonation was a bit better as well.

I do miss holding the flute in my hands, putting it up to my lips, and making music. However, as I've noted before, working on the "icky technical stuff" improves my ability to make music. Articulation and breathing are technical parts of playing the flute. Practicing with a straw helps me develop those areas of technique, not to mention my embouchure.

So time away from the instrument does not also mean time away from practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment