Friday, September 11, 2009

Zara's Metronome Trick No. 1

One of the things I've introduced into my regular practice routine is working with my metronome. I've had a metronome almost from the time I started playing the flute (my parents gave me my first one as a Christmas present), but until a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't using it as regular part of my daily practice.

The idea came from this post on Zara Lawler's The Practice Notebook. She recommends choosing a small section to work on, which I started out doing. However, it didn't take long for me to realize that Taffanel-Gaubert #4 is a "problem section" in its entirety. So I tried practicing with the metronome the entire two page section I was working on that week. It has made a big difference. It helps me pinpoint those sections I need to focus more attention on, and it keeps me "on task."

I also tend to play all the way through my week's Frederick the Great Daily Exercise with the metronome, primarily because they're short. It really is amazing how many places I speed up along with trouble spots where I slow down.

Of course, I do use Metronome Trick No. 1 as recommended to work on trouble spots.

And the improved playing is not confined to the pieces I work on with the metronome. I've found that when start a new Daily Exercise at the beginning of the week, I can sight read it at a faster tempo than I could the one the week before. The dance tunes I play for fun are easier to play at a danceable tempo.

Improved playing speed does mean that I'm fast approaching the time when I'm going to have to begin working again on another skill.

Double tonguing.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1 comment:

  1. what is the metronome for life? if we could use that as a 'practice' tempo, we might find that we live life more meaningfully.

    ReplyDelete