Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cleaned, Packed, And Ready

Yesterday afternoon I did laundry and dusted my entire apartment. This afternoon I cleaned the kitchen and bathroom and vacuumed the whole apartment. I can give the entire apartment a good cleaning in about two hours, so spaced over two days, it's not a big chore. Usually I do a little bit of basic stuff every day and the major stuff every couple of weeks. Except when I travel. Then I give the entire place a thorough cleaning a day or two before I leave, put clean sheets on the bed and clean towels in the bathroom the morning of departure. It's always nice to come home to a clean apartment and fresh sheets.

Once the apartment is clean, I begin packing. Actually, I start the packing process days before I pack the bags. First I make a list. I make piles. I winnow the piles. Certain things get taken to the office to be shipped with the meeting supplies. If it's going to be a lengthy trip, or I'm taking stuff that can't be shipped (when we go to Central or South America, for instance), I borrow a large suitcase from Mom. I also run to the library or the bookstore to get a couple of paperbacks to read while travelling (and during free time, if any). Packing day--that day before departure--the piles get moved to the bed, and the suitcases come down from the storage shelf. Usually by this point, I have a pretty good idea of which bag, or bags, are going on the trip. I winnow the piles one more time and then pack everything but the last minute stuff that goes in right before I go out the door.

Not today. I'm only going for four nights, so I could go carry on. Except I'm taking my flute. I'm too close to a gig to miss an entire week's worth of practicing, and my boss has said that I will have time to practice. So, I'm checking one bag and carrying on one bag with the flute as the one "personal item." Frankly, having to "overpack" and be able to take a little piece of sanity with me this trip is worth the checked bag fee.

I will need that sanity. Bronwyn (our "new" boss), Ruth-Ann and I will be making presentations to our networks about goings on at the Church Center. I've told them that they will have to talk about the reorg.... ummm... reconfiguration because I'm just not ready yet to be a cheerleader again. I'll be doing a lot of biting my tongue and taking notes. Or something. We have coloring pages for participants, and I may throw my crochet stuff in my bag before I leave. Keep busy, stick to the script, and don't talk about the stuff management doesn't want us to talk about.

I'm as ready as I'm ever going to be.

The shuttle comes at 6:45 tomorrow morning. I think we'll have Internet access in Kanuga, so I'll keep you posted.

Peace,
Jeff

1 comment: