Sunday, September 20, 2009

Making Music

Which is, after all, why we practice.

This morning at church I realized I was singing better than I have in a while. Since I no longer sing in the choir--long story for another time--I really don't sing much any more. The only thing that can be affecting my singing at this point is practicing the flute. I've often read and heard that the flute is the closest instrument to the voice. So should it really surprise me that practicing one should help the other?

I miss singing, but I'm not ready to go back to the church choir. Working for the church I'm just not willing to spend yet another evening doing church stuff. There are other groups I could join. But I'm not quite ready to give up another evening of my time, not to mention concert schedules. Of course, the same goes for instrumental groups, although there a lot fewer opportunities for instruments than for singing in this area.

So for now, as I contemplate my options, I'll sing at church and play dance tunes and other fun things on the flute at home.

Making music.

No comments:

Post a Comment