Sunday, September 27, 2009

Break in the Routine

Last Monday I lugged two suitcases to Kanuga Conference Center in North Carolina. Our office was hosting a meeting of our networks, and we spent a four days with them. I had two suitcases because I took my flute. I talked with my colleagues, and because we were stying in cottages, I would be able to practice during the week.

This was important to me for three reasons. First, I was trying to keep up my routine. Second, I have a gig next weekend, and I couldn't afford NOT to practice for a whole week. And third, I knew I would need "me" time, something playing the flute gives me.

The best laid plans.

I practiced for about an hour spaced over two days out of the five I was gone. We had an agenda that was, of necessity, packed full. There were also two other meetings run by colleagues taking place at the conference center at the same time. That meant that unscheduled time was spent talking with other people from both those other meetings learning what they do and explaining our own work. Meals. Airport runs. Presentation preparation. Logistics issues.

Frankly, I could have used more sanity breaks than the two I had. However, I also made an effort not to get frustrated because I couldn't practice. And an hour's practice is more than I would have had if I hadn't taken my flute.

Then there was yesterday. Unpacking. Chores. Meeting at church. Class. Dinner with friends. All those things that have to be done after you return from a long trip. Another day without practicing.

This evening I finally had a chance to practice. Sixty-five minutes, about half of which was spent on technique and problem areas. I still have a couple of pieces to choose for the memorial service next Sunday. But I stopped when I realized I was getting tired.

Only one day, but I'm back into my routine.

It feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment