Saturday, September 5, 2009

Then There Are Times...

...when you probably shouldn't practice. This evening was one of them.

I spent the afternoon at church with three other parishioners laying out and painting an 11 circuit labyrinth on the parking lot. We started chalking it at 1:00, finished painting at 6:45, and were cleaned up by 7:00. Then two of us walked it--in, anyway. We were too tired to walk back out.

I didn't practice this morning, because I had some chores to do before heading out to church. I figured I'd have time this evening. What I hadn't counted on was being so tired after painting the labyrinth. Even so, I wanted to practice. I've developed a pretty good routine, and I want to stick to it. I was looking forward to practicing.

I practiced for 25 minutes, the shortest amount of time since I started getting myself into a routine. I probably shouldn't have. Tone? I couldn't keep my flute turned the right way. Taffanel-Gaubert? My fingers couldn't keep up. The dance tunes I know pretty well? Every third note was a mistake.

Some days you just ought to take a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment