Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bible Study With The Bishops: We're Outta Here!

Reading Plan Text for March 28: John 6: 59-71

I'm posting two of these tonight. The Evangelism and Congregational Life staff will be on an overnight retreat tomorrow through Friday, and I will not have computer access tomorrow night.

I've been working through John's Gospel for a month, and there are almost three-and-a-half months to go with the Reading Plan. I know that these posts aren't always deep thoughts or great theology. They are one person's initial reactions after having spent a few minutes with both the Gospel passage and Burridge's commentary. They are intended to be discussion starters.

In spite of the sparse comments on these posts, they are a good discipline for me. It means I sit down and engage in some Bible study at least five nights a week, and I write something, however brief, at least five nights a week. Even those nights when I would rather spend the time doing something else.

Still, every once in a while, some feedback would be nice.

And now for a couple of thoughts on Friday's passage.

It's not just "the Jews" who find Jesus' teaching hard to take. Many of his own followers turn back, probably returning to their homes and their old lives. When I read the passage this evening, I thought of the Parable of the Sower found in Mark's Gospel--the seeds that fell on the rocky ground. When the going gets tough, we're outta here!

I get the sense that a vast majority of his followers leave, since Jesus turns his attention only to "the twelve." Of course, other followers probably remained with Jesus, but this is his core group. He needs to know if they are with him. Peter stands in for the entire group here. They do not wish to leave; they believe.

Except for one...

Peace,
Jeffri

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute. Peter does NOT say they he does not wish to go away. He answers the question with a question. To whom can we go since you have convinced us that you are the Holy one? He probably does wish he could go. But another part of him wants him to stay. After all he was one of the 'chosen.'

    ReplyDelete