Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bible Study With The Bishops: Father And Son

Reading Plan Text for March 17: John 5:19-29

This is one of those passages that in the past caused me to dislike John's Gospel. I'm not finding it any easier this time, either. To me, Jesus is talking in circles: the Son can only do what the Father does, but whatever the Father does the Son does, and whoever doesn't honor the Son does not honor the Father... There are those who will tell you that this is part of the mystery of the Trinity, and that this is evidence of the Trinity in the Gospel. I'm still not convinced that the Trinity can be found in the Gospels--more circular arguments as far as I'm concerned.

Burridge is no help with this passage either. Or maybe it's just the frame of mind I'm in after having experienced the Palm Sunday liturgies, which move us rapidly from celebration to death on the cross. Matthew's depiction of Jesus is uppermost in my mind this evening, and I'm just not in the mood to deal with John's Jesus the Mystic.

Peace,
Jeffri

1 comment:

  1. One of the parts in this reading bothers me: "The Father judges no one but has given all judgment to the Son..." And this right on top of my reading today's Gospel assignment about Jesus and the fig tree. These two don't compute.

    ReplyDelete