Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Bible Study With The Bishops: Answer The Question

Reading Plan Text for March 13: John 5:1-9a

Today's reading passage is a reminder that the chapter and verse markings are a late addition to the Scriptures. Most of the headings and paragraph delineations are as well.

I am both enjoying this Reading Plan and being aggravated by it. The Gospels are not meant to be read in these short snippets. We are always left dangling at the end of the day's reading. On the other hand, the wealth of new information I am picking up from Burridge, not to mention some new insights of my own, are making it worth the effort. And I always reflect on what I've read before opening Burridge's commentary.

Burridge's discussion of this passage informs us about the importance of the "feasts" in John. This particular one is not specified beyond
After this there was a festival of the Jews.
Burridge follows this up with information about the healing pool and tells us about the significance of the water imagery. There are also some references to Old Testament stories pointed out to us. Without Burridge's commentary I would have missed most of this, because it does not appear in any of the notes in any of my bibles--not even my Harper Collins Study Bible.

However, what jumped out at me upon reading this passage was the man Jesus heals and his response to Jesus' question:
[Jesus] said to him, 'Do you want to be made well?' The sick man answered him, 'Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; and while I am making my way, someone else steps down ahead of me.'
Jesus asks the man if he wants to be healed, and the man gives an excuse? Lately when receiving a response that does not really answer the question I asked, I tell the person, "Answer the question that was asked." Jesus doesn't even bother with that step. In fact, he doesn't try to get an answer at all. He simply tells the man to pick up his mat and walk.

Just answer the question.

Just do it.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment