Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bible Study With The Bishops: Grumbling

Reading Plan Text for March 26: John 6: 41-51

Jesus has really put his foot in it this time. His claim that "I am the bread that came down from heaven" has riled many who heard it. They being to "grumble and complain" because he made this statement. They do not see beyond what they already know, that Jesus is a "local boy" known in the community. How then can he make this claim?

This passage is basically a continuation of the "Bread of Life" discourse, but the phrase "grumble and complain" really jumped out at me. There has been a lot of grumbling and complaining in my life lately, and I've been responsible for some of it. As I've been saying here over the past couple of days, change is hard. And most of us react to it by grumbling and complaining.

I've really tried not to complain too much, but for some reason, people seem to congregate around my cubicle for discussions. And lately, most of the discussions around the office have been about the reorganization. Often, I just ignore the conversation. Other times I find that I have to get up and leave my desk. And sometimes, I get sucked into the conversation. It is hard to stay out of the grumbling and stay focused on the positive aspects of the process. Some days I have more success than others.

At least in this situation it is only my work life that is being changed. The crowd in today's Gospel passage is being asked to change what amounts to their whole world view. It takes time to make the shift, and grumbling is part of the process.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment