Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Wanderlust

It is the middle of August, and "the great migration" is about to begin. The college kids will return to their various institutions of higher learning--or begin their first semesters--and children across the country prepare to return to school for a new year--or begin their first year of school. For 18 years, from the time I was 5 and began kindergarten, until I was 23 and completed one year of graduate school, I participated in the annual move back to school. In my mid-20's I spent three more years in graduate school pursuing a master's degree in education. The pattern, ingrained at an early age, and reinforced over several years, exerts a pull on me every Fall.

While the yearning to pack a bag and travel is strongest in the Fall, it can hit me at any time of year. For the past year I have been following the adventures of a high school classmate who is riding his motorcycle around the world. Allan has worked hard over the past (almost) 30 years, and he can afford to take the time for this adventure. Yet it is more than just the financial ability. He has packed up his bike to follow a dream, something many of us never do. Doing it by motorcycle may not be the way I'd do it, but I often envy him the experience.

On the other hand, I've been fortunate over the years. My father was a schoolteacher, so every summer we packed up and took off. By the time I was in high school, I had seen more of the country and of Canada than the vast majority of my friends, neighbors and classmates. Between my junior and senior years of high school I spent the summer in Germany as an exchange student through Youth for Understanding. As an adult I have had jobs that offered me an opportunity to visit other parts of the USA and the world. On occasion I have even made vacations doing things I've dreamed about--sailing in the Caribbean, biking in Ireland.

Even so, the wanderlust strikes. There are still bike trips I would like to take in Europe. There are train trips I dream of taking on most of the continents. There are cities ancient and modern I long to see. And sometimes, I just want to pack a bag and go where my whims lead.

This Fall my job will take me to two new places here in the USA and one place in the Caribbean that I've been before. Between the last week of September and Thanksgiving, I will be away four weeks for work related trips. I will also be taking a couple of long weekend trips with friends during that same time period.

That should more than take care of the wanderlust. At least until Christmas...

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment